Spotlight on...Pruneti February 03 2015
- Pruneti Frantoio is a 100% Monocultivar made from Frantoio olives which are typically grown in the region of Tuscany.
- This oil has a rich golden colour.
- The aroma is of green vegetables like artichokes, fresh cut grass and asparagus.
- The taste is robust and complex with herbal notes like sage, rosemary and black pepper. It has noticeable levels of bitterness and a strong pungent finish which represents the high levels in polyphenols which are natural anti-oxidants found in good olive oils...don't be afraid if an oil makes you cough after tasting a spoonful.
- 500 ml bottle
- Pruneti Toscano Organic is a blend of Leccino, Moraiolo and Frantoio varieties which are hand picked and pressed immediately after harvest in their own mil.
- The oil is a Medium/light fruity oil with a Green colour with hints of gold.
- The aroma is of fresh green olives and vegetables like lettuce, basil, and fennel.
- Taste is of fresh olive and fennel with a lingering spicy finish.
- The oil goes well with vegetable soups, legumes and grilled fish or chicken.
- 500 ml bottle
Spotlight on...Domenica Fiore December 19 2014
Domenica Fiore is the partnership of two Italians, one from Canada and one from Italy. Both obsessed with creating the best Extra Virgin Olive Oil possible.
In 2010 Frank Giustra a successful Entrepreneur and Philanthropist, fell in love with a property located in the hills of Umbria, overlooking Orvieto, Italy. He purchased the land with it’s olive groves and committed to restoring the trees to their full glory. The estate was lovingly named after his Mother for her dedication to family and home.
Frank partnered with Cesare Bianchini because of his love and extensive knowledge of the area and olives. Cesare overseas the farming and olive oil production.
The farm and groves are nestled between the Apennine Mountains and the Paglia River 100 miles from the sea. The rich soil is embedded with seashells from millions of years ago which help to create and nourish the trees and fruit. The orchard has traditional olive varieties of Leccino, Moraiolo, Frantoio and Canino which grow at an altitude of between 320 – 480 metres above sea level. This high altitude allows the farm to grow olives organically as they are not plagued with the olive fly at this level. The 10,000 trees grow on the sunny slopes of the Orvieto Valley.
Olives are hand picked starting in early October, when they are perfect for creating an olive oil that is high in polyphenols, which are natural anti-oxidants. Picking early is great for producing great oil however, it also creates smaller yields than if you wait to pick when more ripe. Fiore creates an artisan oil that is crafted to produce the very best quality rather than focusing on yield.
They crush within hours of harvesting in their own mill paying attention to the minute details that create the best oils.
Domenica Fiore Extra Virgin Olive Oils are DOP Umbria Colli Orvietani which means they are Certified Designation of Origin. (or Denominazione di Origine Protetta in Italian) this stamp ensures that the oil you receive in the bottle is made from olives grown solely in the region designated. Fiore goes one step further by clearly labeling when your bottle of oil was harvested,milled and bottled in their 18/10 stainless steel bottles to preserve freshness, they are traceable from tree to bottle.
Reserva is an organic blend of Leccino, Moraiolo and Frantoio oils that is hand harvested and crushed within hours and certified DOP.Nitrogen sealed and bottled in stainless steel to maintain freshness.
The oil is golden green, robust and full bodied
- The aroma is fine and delicate with hints of fresh cut grass, artichoke and herbs like mint and rosemary.
- Reserva is a robust and intense, full bodied extra virgin olive oil with bitterness and pungency in balance at the finish.
- This oil is bold and peppery and perfect with hearty dishes like roasted meats, toasted bread or with tomato bruschetta, hearty pasta dishes, marinated salmon, barley soups poultry or goat cheese.
This is the first (or NEW!) oil of the first harvest each year. These oils are green and bottled immediately, unfiltered. This oil is bright green, with spicy notes of green grass and the taste of fresh olives.
This oil is great drizzled over roasted meats and fish, hearty soups and on fresh salads.